Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Pre-writing
In the past I was always afraid of writing or in any case English itself. I struggled when it came to writing papers in grammar school through high school. When I was in my first year of high school (possibly middle school) hearing about the “writing process” sounded like a good thing for me, but never found myself actually doing it. In my years in high school English classes I would hold my head in the sand ignoring due dates and deadlines till the last day or night before. Inevitably I never made the time to sit and go through a writing process that allowed me to periodically improve my thoughts and ideas. At this time in my life I usually wrote the paper and revised it once or twice, which definitely at times reflected in my marks and grades.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, yeah, I think more students have been damaged by these sorts of experiences in English classes than in math or any other subject! In this class, we'll be doing a lot of "prewriting" in the blog posts, so that you're developing material for the formal papers as you go along. If you can then transport this habit into other classes and other writing situations down the road, you'll probably find it easier to get going with earlier drafts. Let me know how it's going, o.k.?
ReplyDeleteI've heard about the same kind of thing from a lot of my friends. While I've never felt it myself, I can understand how it would be off-putting when it comes to writing a paper. I just always have so much floating around in my head that it's easier for me to understand it if I put it on paper. :) Let me know if you need any help. I love reading other people's writings!
ReplyDeleteI, too, have an issue with pre-writing. The idea of a writing paper in general becomes overwhelming sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI like oyur ideals on prewriting and i think you ideal on your paper is going to be great.
ReplyDelete